A lot of designers will say that newspaper portal websites cannot have a good design as there is so much content to show that it cannot possibly work.
Never listen to this, because while it is hard to design a good news portal that is constantly being updated, it is certainly not impossible.
We will teach you about the trends in the industry and what to watch out for if you plan on designing one. Also we will give you a showcase of 10 great newspaper website designs that you must see!
Newspaper Website Designs And Their Key Factors
- The Color Scheme is crucial, yet pretty generic and plain. You will always see the same design concept when it comes to this very important elements. White, black, silver, gray, blue and perhaps some green. The background is usually light with the content in dark black font with clearly visible blue hyperlinks. This isn’t always the most aesthetic thing to look at, but it clearly the best option for presenting content to the readers.
- Revenue is generated though advertising that tends to be annoying. They need to make money too right? It’s only fair that they display those ads considering how much information they provide us for free. But these ads tend to really mess up the look of the website which is what most designers don’t keep in mind. You can see the banner ads in the header or right sidebar of the website usually.
- Navigation is always at the top. This is because there there is a lot of content in many different categories and the best way to present them is in the top menu. Some sites combine both top and left sidebar navigation at the same time since they run out of space.
- RSS Feed and Social Media bring in many visitors. Encouraging viewers to share and engage in the content is crucial to the success of news portal, until the users begin doing it on their own.
Top 10 Newspaper Website Designs
Now it’s time to present the showcase of the best designs.
1. The Onion – The Funniest Grid Ever
The Onion, is a satirical website of news that can make us laugh pretty good! That’s why their content is shared so much and social media integration is very important to them. This website has a great design and even the ads are chosen so they don’t interrupt the general theme so much.
2. USA Today
4. The Times
7. Mail Online
A pretty standard presentation and there isn’t much too learn from this web design. However, there is one important thing and that is the featured news they have with larger, dynamic pictures that they use that should get you thinking. It is quite an effective tactic.
One should be inspired by this design, but stay away from copying it or you will end up having your design look like thousands of other websites on the Internet!